Monday, June 8, 2009

Encouragement and Enthusiasm

I'm getting used to the word Bitch. I still don't like it, but it IS catchy. Yesterday at the Fringe Town Meeting the title of my play alone got a laugh, and that's very encouragin', as Ruth Gordon said, when she so enthusiastically accepted the Academy Award for "Rosemary's Baby".

I watched that broadcast at the time--1968?--and thought it was cute that an old lady would say something flippant at the Oscars. I was a teenager then--pretty smart, but not smart enough. I didn't know that Ruth Gordon's illustrious career had spanned more than 50 years as a Broadway star, movie actress (NOT star, not yet), playwright, and screenwriting partner with her husband, Garson Kanin. The films they wrote ("Adam's Rib", "Pat and Mike", etc) were some of my favorites, even then, and I knew his name, but I didn't know hers till that night at the Oscars.

As a teen, I could tell her tongue was in her cheek, but I didn't, as they say, know the half of it.
Now I find myself, a veteran actress (what a way to put it!) in "Bitch!", playing a woman whose MUCH younger companion imagines himself Harold to her Maude.

I have since read and re-read Ruth Gordon's memoirs--plural. She lived a long, productive life with a husband 16 years her junior, (eons before Ashton and Demi), and finally became a full-blown movie star when most people are collecting Social Security. We should all be so lucky. And so talented.

Here's a Ruth Gordon quote I carry in my wallet: "To have a career, be lucky. If you're not, GET to be. Never give up, ignore the facts, use everybody, and when it gets impossible, ask God for a windfall".

I'm told that the quality Ruth Gordon most admired in people is enthusiasm. It's a quality her dear friend, Thornton Wilder, also admired. I'm absolutely convinced that enthusiasm must be one of the keys to getting lucky.

This week's Lucky news: the Kickstarter page is up, and it is GREAT, thanks to David di Paolo (videographer) and all the contributions from generous artists--monetary as well as "incentive"-wise. Check it out--www.kickstarter.com.

The delightful and multi-talented Melinda Buckley has signed on as Director, and Melissa Doyle is the Producer of All Things Bitch. Taylor is knocking himself out, getting more incentives and being sounding board and all-round doll; Ann Blackstock donated her massive photographic skills to the mix. And Mike Johnson is going above and beyond the duties of brother-in-law--his graphics are fab. (I'm hoping to unveil me as Lady Lawford on next week's blog).

Fundraisers are being planned: a winetasting party and an evening of cabaret stylings, including some very Bitch-y comedy, TBA. To volunteer for fun, just let me know!

And please forward this to anyone you think it may interest or amuse! Let's get lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment