Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Desperately Seeking Buddy Galon!


For the past few years, I have had a Google alert on three things--my own name; whatever project I'm currently obsessed with; and Buddy Galon. So whenever any of the above pop up in cyberspace, Google magically sends me an email to let me know that somebody, somewhere, cares about these things, too--at least in the moment.

Buddy Galon was Lady May Lawford's "as-told-to" and published her autobiography, BITCH!, upon which I based my little play.

Imagine my surprise when Google alerted me on August 21, 2009, with the following (from a Craigslist posting):

"Desperately Seeking Buddy Galon - w4m (Palm Beach, Florida)
Trying to locate Buddy Galon. . . An unscrupulous woman in New York is making a play about his book and giving no credit to him as author. . ."


Of course I answered immediately to say that I am the "unscrupulous woman"(actually, that part of the post kind of thrilled me),that I legally hold the stage rights, that I do fully credit him, and that if this Craigslister finds Mr. Galon, to please get in touch with me, because I really want to talk to him. No response.

Yesterday, Google and Craigslist presented me with:
"Has anyone seen Buddy Galon, the author, who once lived in Palm Beach? He has disappeared without a trace. . ."

And today:
" . . .we are also seeking author Buddy Galon. . . He has left many friends, colleagues, acquaintances and admirers with no forwarding address or contact information. . .We miss him."

What makes this run on Buddy?!

I personally know someone else who is looking for him, found an old phone number, and called it. The result was--well, ask me in person and I'll tell you, because it's an interesting story, not for this forum. Buddy didn't answer the phone, but the person who did is also looking for him, and apparently has been for some time.

The mystery of Lady Lawford, and now the mystery of Buddy Galon?! The conspiracy theorist in me is wild with imaginings, and the part of me that so often wants to disappear into thin air is wild with envy.

If you know where Buddy Galon is--I think his given name is Beauregard--please let me know. He grows more interesting every day.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure if you ever found him, but.....

    http://www.demopolistimes.com/2013/07/16/to-demopolis-with-love-ogletree-leaves-lasting-legacy/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that the reports of Buddy Ogletree Galon's death have been greatly exaggerated. There is a letter from him to the Demopolis Public Library to prove it. In it he tells them that there has been a grievous mistake, that he suffered an auto accident, but survived it. He is now fine, and they may keep the check.

    ReplyDelete